See all the exercises at the:
Weight Training Exercises Database
– Leg-Press Calf Presses –
AKA: Leg-Press Calf Raises
Isolated Exercise, Push Movement
On 45 degree leg press machine, with knees nearly straight, place the balls of the feet on the platform. Push the weight as far as possible by extending your ankles, lower back to a comfortable extension.
Tips and Techniques:
Depending on the stops on the leg press machine you are using, you may need to do a Leg Press to get the platform up to where you can do the calf raises. You can do this by either by placing the full foot on the platform, doing a normal press and then carefully wiggling the feet down to where the heel is off and the weight is securely on the balls of your feet. Alternatively, you can set your calf raise foot placement at the bottom and press up that way. Whatever works for you and the weight you are using.
A machine that has stops that allow you to start near the exercise’s starting position is, obviously, preferable.
Keep your knees slightly bent but stationary throughout the exercise. This seems particularly difficult doing these types of calf raises (at least to me). But letting the rest of the leg become involved in the exercise defeats the purpose so work at keeping them still.
Really push the weight up as far on your toes as you can at the top of the exercise. Pointing the toes slightly out can emphasize the inner calves, pointed slightly in will emphasize the outer calves.
Recommended Reps For Muscle Building:
6-12 the majority of the time, trying higher or lower reps on occasion.
There are various similar Sled-Based Machine Exercises:
- Leg-Press Calf Raises -Here you are raising yourself up on a 45 degree sled as opposed to pressing the sled up.
- Seated Calf Press – Sitting straight up and pushing a weight directly forward
- Vertical Calf Press – Lying on your back bent at waist and pressing straight up
- Lying Calf Press -Lying on your back and pressing yourself away from the platform
- Other Machine-Based Calf Presses – Lever machines also allow you to do calf presses.
Leg Press Machine